On Sun, Jan 22, 2006 at 07:07:32PM +0700, Ismail Fahmi wrote:
> 1. what is the difference between classless and classful qdisc?? when I made
> a qdisc, are I must create both of that qdisc...???

A classful qdisc allows packets to be sorted into different groups, and to
handle packets differently depending on the group they belong to. This gives
you a lot of control over how packets of a certain type / belonging to a
certain user / etc. should be treated.

A classless qdisc just takes all incoming packets and treats them essentially
all the same (with some exceptions). You can't manually customize or group
type of packets in any way.

> 2. what is the difference beetween three of the classless qdisc in linux
> redhat 2.4, sfq pfifo and tbf if I using the htb classful qdisc ??? because
> when I use htb classful qdisc it means I made a qdisc that can rate b/w for
> each class, so it's no difference between I used tbf classless qdisc in each
> class and I used sfq or pfifo...

Not sure if I got this question right. Are you asking what the difference
between limiting bandwidth using HTB and TBF is? In that case, TBF is
classless,
doesn't know anything at all about other traffic, and will just stupidly limit
the bandwidth to a certain value. HTB on the other hand knows about its classes
and can balance the total available bandwidth between them.

HTH
Andreas Klauer