Hi, our network has a hand full of 2k servers that use silent rip. We use 2 Linux gateways with separate isp's.
Each gateway does a ' default-originate'  to advertise its default route in ripv2 (with on having a different metric).
The main gateway has a ping script written in shell that will ping the gateway, determine if its up or down; With either result it checks its history of the last 3 intervals, and will only stop rip if or start rip if there is/was 3 concurrent ups or downs.
I have been running this for 2 years with no problems.

I hope this helps