Jody Shumaker wrote:
> I don't believe -j CLASSIFY targte can target sub-classes.  Pretty
> sure you can only target classes whose parent is the root class of the
> qdisc. You would need to use tc filters to do this, or get rid of your
> redundant classes.  For THB for some reason you have a root class and
> a child class with the same limit? This makes no sense, you'd be fine
> with just the 2:2 class and attaching the sfq to that, and setting the
> classify to that.
>
> Otherwise, yes I think this would work in setting a limit on those ppp
> devices as they come up to XXXkbit of bandwidth.
>
> - Jody

Actually it looks like it can target sub-classes:

pppoe users ----- eth1-gw/router-eth0 ----- WAN/Internet

For shaping pppoe users upload i do the following:
attached a root qdisc to eth0
then attached a htb class to it (1:10 for example)

Then i attach dynamicaly classes to 1:10 with numbers (1:91 for ppp1 for
example) with parent 1:10. There are also dynamic iptables rules (alot
of dynamic stuff going on .. lol ;) saying "traffic from that pppoe user
going out trough eth0 CLASSIFY as 1:91"
When a ppp43 is up, a class 1:943 with parent 1:10 will be attached to
eth0 and iptables rule saying traffic from that pppoe user going out
trough eth0 CLASSIFY as 1:943"

and it seems to work fine, upload seems to be shaped at the desired rates.
But that is in a "one pppoe user" test environment, i think it should
work fine when deployed too, and each pppoe user will get their upload
rates ;-)

--
regards,
Georgi Alexandrov

Key Server = http://pgp.mit.edu/ :: KeyID = 37B4B3EE
Key Fingerprint = E429 BF93 FA67 44E9 B7D4  F89E F990 01C1 37B4 B3EE