On Thu, 2006-03-02 at 14:23 -0800, Stephen Hemminger wrote:
> I will put it in iproute2 commands when a definitive set of patches
> is sent to me. So far, it still looks like it needs some fine tuning.

Yes, they need some fine tuning.  My ultimate goal here is
to get something into the main line that makes tc/htb work
well for VOIP.  I don't care whether it is my patch, or
something else.

Jesper's patch is more mature, and as such is probably the
better starting point.  The only problem with using them
is this statement on his web site:

  "Commercial use of my work including the ADSL-optimizer
  is not allowed without my knowledge and consent. The
  ADSL-optimizer will be released under the GNU public
  license."

Coming from a Debian background, statements like this can
be a problem.  A statement somewhere that clarifies the
patches are released under the GPL (and thus can be used
commercially) need to be made somewhere.  Either on the
web site, or in the patch themselves.

The combined issues from both sets of patches that need
to be sorted are:

1.  Changes to the kernel so the rate calculation can be
    100% accurate. (Already in Jesper's patch - I must
    verify it is backward compatible.)

2.  Making the ATM calculation optional via a command line
    option.  (Already in my patch.)

3.  Allowing the overhead figure to be negative so that
    the patch will work with PPPoA.  (This is an issue with
    both patches.)

4.  Jesper clarifying the license on his patch.