On Thu, Mar 30, 2006 at 01:17:00AM +0200, Beat Meier wrote:
> What I want now is that for example in "class" 128Kbps the ip
> 10.0.0.5, 10.0.0.8 etc. goes BUT every ip adress will have 128Kbps.
> The same for 256Kbps.
> 128Kbps
>   |_ 10.0.0.5
>   |_ 10.0.0.8
>
> 256Kbpss
>   |_ 10.0.0.6
>   |_ 10.0.0.7

I don't know if such a scheduler exists. With HTB, you could do
it, but you would have to create a separate class per user.
Which is not that much different from what this scheduler would
do, as it has to keep track of every single IP's bandwidth
either way.

> Do I have to do it like in example 15.1 (Cookbook) in the howto i.e.
> if I have 1000 ip addresses they are all flat there in?

Example 15.1 seems to be based on CBQ. I did not have much luck
with this scheduler myself. But as far as I know, it also would
require you to create one separate class per user.

> What I have noticed there are a lot of example but always with 2 different
> speeds but no one with customers of the same speed, same queueing disiplines
> but should not share the bandwidth but have each one the full speficied
> bandwidth.

I do not know such a script, since I'm doing traffic shaping for home
use only. If you're looking for a script that does not primarily work
by prioritizing traffic classes, but which works on a per-user basis,
you could have a look at my own script. (http://www.metamorpher.de/fairnat)
That is if you're willing to regard my former flatmates as customers and
my former linux-based old PC router as high-end internet gateway.

The script will by far not be flexible enough for a project of your
scale, but at least it's user based and I put some effort into
documenting it, so maybe it will be useful as an example to you.

Kind regards
Andreas Klauer