I am getting closer...

I added debugging, and noticed that it looks for:
       snprintf(buf, sizeof(buf), "%s_qdisc_util", str);

However in q_xcp.c it had:
       struct qdisc_util xcp_util = {

so I changed that to xcp_qdisc_util, and now i run tc:
lanthanum-ini tc # tc qdisc add dev ath0 root xcp capacity 54Mbit limit 100
Segmentation fault

This happens on this line:
 q = dlsym(dlh, buf);

Since this is very hard for people to help me without the source code, i did
ask the author if it has been release publically and am waiting for a response.
 In the meantime, it seems as though maybe instead of trying to get this to
work with a newer version of tc, i should install an old version of tc that the
module was original made for.

Though if anyone else has ideas let me know.

Thanks for all the help

- George