Many thanks for the reply.

sfq's default queue of 128 may cause you some pain.  You could try a pfifo
10 or recompile after modifying sch_sfq.c in your kernel tree.

I tried the above (modifying to 10) but didn't notice much difference.

Also, using
the prio parameter with htb may not do what you expect when you exceed your
specified rate.  The htb documentation explains the effects in detail.

I couldn't access the website at luxik.cdi.cz/~devik/qos/htb/. Is it documented
elsewhere?

You could also get spikes from running over an ATM link where your specified
rate and the actual ATM link utilization will likely differ.

Possibly may be the case.

As suggested in the 'Practical Guide to Linux Traffic Control' I also tried
setting HTB_HYSTERESIS to zero in sch_htb.c but again didn't notice much
difference.

Anyway, this is currently the least of my worries, see my new thread!

Andy