Thanks for replying :)
I have been playing a bit with the following setup, but unfortunately I am confused about how to specify the queue length of my multicast class below, to absorb the small bursts seen. It would be great with an example, for example with a megabyte buffer.

# QDISC
tc qdisc replace dev eth3 root handle 1: htb default 30

# CLASSES
# root class
tc class replace dev eth3 parent 1:  classid 1:1  htb rate 5mbit ceil 5mbit burst 50Kb cburst 100Kb
# multicast class
tc class replace dev eth3 parent 1:1 classid 1:15 htb rate 5mbit ceil 5mbit burst 50Kb cburst 100Kb
# other traffic
tc class replace dev eth3 parent 1:1 classid 1:30 htb rate 1mbit ceil 5mbit

#filters here (not shown)

Thanks,
Oivind

On 4/8/06, Andy Furniss <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Oivind wrote:
> On 3/1/06, Andy Furniss <[EMAIL PROTECTED] > wrote:
>
>>Oivind wrote:
>>
>>>Hi all,
>>>I have an average 2mbit multicast stream that once in a while bursts
>>>high (up to 20mbit/s) in short periods (about 200ms). Could anyone
>>>please help me with directions using tc for configuing leaky bucket
>>>shaping to this stream? I have a 5mbit/s ceiling.
>>>
>>>My system is running gentoo linux 2.6.14, and I have compiled in all
>>>QoS modules.
>>
>>I suppose it depends what you want to do with the burst ie. propogate it
>>,smooth it without loss or drop packets to maintain  a rate.
>

> I would like to smooth the bursts out at the ceiling bandwidth without
> any packet drops (unless an unacceptable lengthy burst of course).

Sorry for not replying earlier, I lost this one.

What you want should be OK with htb/tbf/hfsc ratelimiting at 5meg - just
choose a leaf queue/buffer length that can absorb the burst.

Andy.