Luciano Ruete wrote:
> On Wednesday 28 June 2006 05:19, Andrew Lyon wrote:
>> Peter Surda wrote:
>>>
>>> exactly.

>>> tested, works.

>>> Yours sincerely,
>>> Peter
>>
>> It works in so far as the command is accepted and there is no error,
>> but having changed the default route and then doing a upload by ftp I
>> can see that both lines are still getting 1/2 of the outgoing
>> packets.
>
> One upload means nothing, plain multipath(vanilla kernel, with
> multipath cached not set) take in account destination address(DA for
> convenience) and TOS. For each new pair of DA and TOS it takes the
> nexthop available. So doing an ftp to a single host will make no
> difference. Think in connections instead of packets, for a 'per
> packet multipath' you need to have same source address for all your
> choosed gw/isps and to patch your kernel.

It am not using plain multipath, its equalized multipath using the patch
eql-patch-2.4.30.gz.

My upload was using both lines, our ISP graphs include bandwidth and I can
see the upload was approx 550kbit on each line, but the capacity is 600kbit
and 800kbit.

>> I am fairly sure about this because both lines are adsl, when the
>> upstream is saturated the latency goes up and this is reflected in
>> graphs that our isp make available, the line with 600kbit upload has
>> noticeably higher latency, the line with 800kbit does not.
>
> The latency problem is easy to solve, making your linux box to be the
> one who manage the queue, see section 9.2.2.2 of LARTC HowTo.

I am not trying to solve the latency, I was only using it as a rough guide
of whether the data was being sent in the ratio I expected to the two lines.

>> Have you verified that it does actually distribute the packets in a
>> different ratio? I think multipath is just random.
>
> As i say, each time a new pair of DA and TOS arrives it takes the
> nexthop, in the case mentioned above, it will choose 4 times the hop
> a.a.a.a and 3 times the hop b.b.b.b and so on.

Yes, unless you are using equalize patch.

> It is possibly that you start a heavy http download and goes by a,
> and then a ping and goes by b, and then a new heavy http download and
> it goes by a again. So one line is saturated while the other is
> empty, thats why multipath works better(fairly) as the number of
> clients arise.

JOSEDV001TAG