On Thu, 2006-07-20 at 01:00 +0400, Alexey Kuznetsov wrote:
> Hello!

So you really do exist?  I thought it was just
rumour.

> Well, if fixed point arithmetics is not a problem.

It shouldn't be.  Any decimal number can be expressed
as a fraction, eg:

  0.00123 = 123/100000

Which can be calculated as a multiply and a divide. With
MTU's up to 2048, it should be possible to do this with
99.9999% accuracy (ie 2048/2^23).

With a bit more work in userspace (ie in tc), it can be
be reduced to a multiply and a shift.

> Plus, remember, the function is not R*size, it is at least
> R*size+addend, to account for link overhead. Plus account for padding
> of small packets. Plus, when policing it should deaccount already added
> link headers, QoS counts only network payload.

Yes, it is flexible - and has served us well up until
now.  It doesn't work well for ATM, but with a small
bit of extra calculation in the kernel it could.
However, it turns out that ATM is a special case.  If
ATM's cell payload was 58 bytes instead of 48 bytes
(say), then it would not be possible to produce a RTAB
that had small errors (eg < 10%) for smallish packet
sizes (< 290 bytes).  I seem to have trouble
explaining why in a concise way that people understand,
so I won't try here.

So when Alan Cox said our ATM patch didn't solve the
packetisation problem in general, he was right as our
patch just built upon RTAB.  Patrick's STAB proposal
in general either for that matter, as it is just another
implementation of RTAB with the same limitations.  The
only way I can think of to solve it in general is to
move many more calculations into the kernel - as I
proposed in a long winded answer to Patrick earlier
in this thread.

But doing so would get rid of the table implementation
and the flexibility it has given us to date.  For that
reason I feel uncomfortable with it.

The engineering decision becomes this - are there any
other protocols like ATM out there that could justify
such a change?  (In my more cynical moments I think of
it differently - has/is the world going to make a
second engineering fuck up on the scale of ATM again?
How on earth did anyone decide that pushing data
packets over ATM, as happens in ADSL, was a good
idea?)  I know of no other such protocols.  But then
I don't have an encyclopedic knowledge of comms
protocols, so that doesn't mean much.  I suspect you
know a good deal more about them than I do.  What say
you?