On Wed, 26 Jul 2006 19:25:00 +0200
Matthias Ferdinand <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I am trying to revive an old linux server installation, which still has
> libc5. Sadly, most current software does not compile anymore on this
> system, including the tc utility. As with other tools (net-tools,
> coreutils, procps etc.) I tried to compile and statically link
> (LDFLAGS=-static) on a more recent linux machine and copy the static
> binaries over to the old machine.
>
> But no luck with tc. Even on the host where I compiled it (Debian Sarge
> 3.1), the static binary (/usr/local/iproute2-2.6.16-060323/usr/sbin/tc)
> does not see any qdisc:
>
> xoff:~# /sbin/tc qdisc ls dev eth0
> qdisc pfifo_fast 0: bands 3 priomap  1 2 2 2 1 2 0 0 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1
>
> xoff:~# /usr/local/iproute2-2.6.16-060323/usr/sbin/tc qdisc ls dev eth0
> qdisc pfifo_fast 0: [Unknown qdisc, optlen=20]
>
> The source code makes use of dlopen() / dlsym() functions, which may be the
> reason for the failure. Does anybody know a way to make it work in a static
> binary?

The dlopen() stuff is just to allow adding support for new qdisc's later.
It also is introspective, it is used to find the qdisc's that are statically
linked in.  Why bother updating it?

You could with some effort change tc to have a list of qdisc structure
pointers and change get_qdisc_kind to walk the list.