Hi everybody!

I'm trying to implement the load balancing for a LAN with two ISPs. I've installed a Suse Linux Enterpise Server 9 with iproute2 for that porpouse.

The server have two NICs, one of them is for both the LAN and ISP 1. I've setup both NICs with YAST (if I use ip for this, then the whole thing doesn't work!) and execute the following commands to setup the routing tables:

ip route flush cache
ip route flush default
ip route flush table 1
ip route flush table 2

ip route add 10.1.254.0/24 dev eth0 src 10.1.254.251
ip route add 10.1.1.0/24 dev eth1 src 10.1.1.200

ip route show table main | while read ROUTE ; do ip route add table 1 $ROUTE ; done ip route show table main | while read ROUTE ; do ip route add table 2 $ROUTE ; done

ip route add table 1 default via 10.1.254.254
ip route add table 2 default via 10.1.1.254

ip rule add from 10.1.254.251 table 1
ip rule add from 10.1.1.200 table 2

ip route add default equalize nexthop via 10.1.254.254 dev eth0 weight 1 \
nexthop via 10.1.1.254 dev eth1 weight 1

(All of this came from http://linux.lcampino.cl/wiki/index.php/Balanceo_de_Carga#Configurando_la_red (in Spanish)).

At this point, things seems to work fine. I browse in the server and watch with iptraf that both NICs have traffic, but not at 50%-50% rate.

Now I need to implement the following:

- Make load balancing the nearest to 50%-50% rate (Both Internet connections have equal bandwith). - When one of the links goes down, all the traffic redirects to the other inmediately and automatically. Also, when the link is up again, the load balancing restart too. - If posible, when downloading a single big file (i.e. *.exe, *.iso), the packets come from both connections.

I've read a lot about this, but I'm still confuse and very very lost...! :-)))

I'm not sure if I need to adjust some kernel paramters and rebuit it, execute another sequence of commands, apply a kernel patch, etc.

I really apreciate if someone could bring me some light in all this, or tell me what documentation, web page or patch do I need to use.

Thanks in advanced for all your time and recomendations!

P.D. Sorry for my English!