From: Simon Lodal [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: 16 September 2006 14:17
To: lartc@mailman.ds9a.nl
Cc: William Bohannan
Subject: Re: [LARTC] process id with firewall and tc

Routing, firewalling and shaping run in kernel and has no pid. Instead you
can
get/set /proc flags, and check for the presence of certain data structures.

/proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward is the routing master switch. If 0, the
machine
forwards nothing. You can both set and get the value, should be relatively
easy from a web page. Beware that setting it to 1 may reset other /proc keys

to default values.

For iptables firewalling you probably need to check if your rules are loaded

or not, a script parsing 'iptables -nL' output could do it. Or you could use

a condition match "enabled" in the beginning of each table, and drop all
traffic if the condition is false. The /proc/net/ipt_condition/enabled value

can then be read and set as a master switch from the web page.

Shaping has no /proc files, and no way to create a master switch, so you
need
a script that parses 'tc qdisc show dev eth0' or 'tc class show dev eth0'
output.

Regards,
Simon