On Wed, Oct 04, 2006 at 09:05:42PM +0200, sAwAr wrote:

> Hi
>
> I would like to ask you which processor is beter solution for router? Please
> shortly  explain why?
>
>  I have about 800 users. For each I create 2 htb classes and 4 filters.
> Moreower router have dhcp serwer and lots of iptables rules.
>
> I'm interested in P4 3Ghz HT and AMD Athlon 64 3000+. What is beter choice
> for
> my needs? What parametrs of processors are important: clock, cache, fsb or
> something else ?
>
> Thanks in advance

I would go for a big cache.. and of course more MHz the better. Also be sure
to calculate the memory requirements, each conntracked connection requires
some kernel memory.

I would recommend choosing HP, IBM or other good brand for firewall like that.

I was firewalling+natting+routing 2000+ users for years with P3 1GHz without
any problems.

-- Pasi

                                   ^
                                .     .