I recently upgraded my gateway to a pIII 600 with a zyxel 4 port nic
(tulip) and bridge eth0 and eth1, eth0 is a crossover cable to my PC
eth1 a switch.

I don't have ifconfig on this box (LFS) and couldn't find any examples
of bridging using ip - maybe this is relevant maybe not - I've tried a
few combinations of different orders of setting things up. Is there a
magic one?

There is normally no traffic across the bridge - it is all to/from br0
(It's still "needed" though, for games that use ipx/same subnet and I
multicast out of br0 (Don't know how to add a mcast route to more than one if).

I expected things to just bridge, but this does not always happen (maybe timeout) eg pinging a box on the switch from box on eth0 fails at ip level - arp passes eth0 both ways, but I can't see any ip with tcpdump on eth0, pinging from a box on the switch however doesn't get arp replies from eth0.

I can fix it by running a script on the bridge box to toggle eth0
down/up, which forces learning and all is then OK.

brctl showmacs br0 looks no different whether it's working or not - all macs are shown and traffic to/from br0 always works.

Kernel (tainted by dsl modem) is 2.6.17.11, iproute2-ss060323,
bridge-utils 1.1.

STP off (turning on doesn't fix)

Andy.