On 1/20/07, Grant Taylor <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
On 01/19/07 12:45, Manish Kathuria wrote:
> My experience has been mixed. The patch worked very well in many cases
> but in some it worked only if the first hop gateway was down and not
> any of the subsequent hops. So as you mentioned its happening since it
> can ping the switch / modem, it thinks the link is good. You can make
> a script which will keep on running in the background and check it the
> links are up or not and if any of the links is down, it can change the
> default route and provide a failover.

I have been tasked with writing such a script.  In my scenario, I'm
taking it a bit further though.  I am planing on having my script test
the actual service that I'm trying to connect to.  I.e. connect to port
80 and request a page.  I'm having to go this route because I've had
sporadic MTU issues in one of our (primary) paths.  The provider is
suppose to be repairing the problem, however I need a solution before
that can happen.

The method I have adopted is to use a shell script which pings a
popular remote site 's IP (for example www.yahoo.com or
www.google.com) through each of the interfaces every 10 seconds. The
default multipath route is replaced by a single default gateway if
reply is not received for 4 consecutive tries from one of the links.
This is to avoid very frequent failovers. However, the link is treated
as live as soon as a  ping reply is received and the multipath route
is activated.

--
Manish Kathuria
Tux Technologies