Hi,

we have upgraded a gateway machine for our network and suddenly
shaping doesn't work as it used to. Before the upgrade the traffic was
shaped correctly - both OUTPUT and FORWARD packets shared the same
class and it just worked. But now only FORWARD packets are shaped,
OUTPUT uses whole line bandwidth.

This is a piece of output from tc -s class show dev eth1:
class htb 1:894 parent 1:257 leaf 894: prio 1 rate 32000bit ceil
320000bit burst 16Kb cburst 1759b
Sent 10360881 bytes 1470 pkt (dropped 0, overlimits 0 requeues 0)
rate 1111Kbit 18pps backlog 0b 11p requeues 0
lended: 181 borrowed: 1278 giants: 1039
tokens: -1198082 ctokens: -32358

Class 1:894 is a leaf, 1:257 has to children, both leaves (sum of the
children's rate equals to 1:257's rate).

By FORWARD I mean packets that are forwarded by the machine and by
OUTPUT packets that are generated by the machine.

The new configuration is Core 2 duo, kernel (2.6.17.13-smp) and utils
from Slackware. The previous one was something like Duron with non-smp
2.4 kernel. So the question is - what am I missing? How is it possible
that rate is much bigger than ceil in a leaf class?

Thaks,

David Brodsky