Hello,
I would need to be able to do that, as I think that iptables is more powerful for classifying traffic you want to police/shape. I don't really know tc yet, so could you tell if it has the possibility of detecting:

- mac addresses
- ip tos/ttl values
- icmp types
- tcp/udp flags/ports or port ranges
- layer 7 protocols

Thanks for help,
François.

Nikolay Kichukov wrote:
Hello there,
Why would you want to mark the packets with iptables in the first place for
ingress shaping?
Why don't use the tc functionality to specify source and destination
addresses and protocol types?

I would suggest to leave iptables alone and get your hand on TC for doing
traffic control ;-)

So in your example:

  tc qdisc add dev eth0 handle ffff: ingress
  tc filter add dev eth0 parent ffff: protocol ip prio 1 u32 match ip src
172.28.54.41/32 police rate 10000kbit burst 10000kbit mtu 1500k drop flowid
ffff:

Thats an elegant way to achieve what you want.

HTH,
-nik

p.s. Mind the burst parameter, seems huge value to me.

----- Original Message ----- From: mohican 542003