That is why I said 'in theory'. Using PRIO qdisc, I have never been able
to achieve starvation of low priority traffic. I have tested with same
rates for both high and low prio traffic, and did not see high priority
traffic really dominating. Maybe a high rate of high prio traffic
combined with a low rate of low prio traffic will achieve this, I don't
know.
The cumulative effect you see is more likely due to the errant behavior,
not the intended behavior of PRIO qdisc. I may be wrong here; I am
speaking only from my experience. You make a decision whether to depend
on this unintentional, but very common, behavior or not. Another thing
is, PRIO qdisc lists a known bug: High rate of low priority traffic will
starve High priority traffic. So if all goes according to the known
documentation, 'some' of your traffic will starve under 'some'
condition. :-)

But yes, TBF+PRIO is the preferred solution for latency sensitive
applications, like Voice/Video. In such cases, one doesn't care if the
non-realtime traffic is starved or not. The PRIO algorithm is designed
to 'empty' high priority queue first. HTB only ensures that high
priority queue is 'serviced' first.
HTB has a fair queuing algorithm. It is not really suited for
prioritizing traffic, i.e to give absolute priority. Still, you may take
a look at the wondershaper script, which prioritizes some traffic using
HTB.