On 6/6/07, Thomas Bushnell BSG <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
On Wed, 2007-06-06 at 12:42 -0300, Marco Aurelio wrote:
> use the HTB wondershaper that can be found at lartc.org

Thanks for your reply.  I looked at wondershaper, and I could not tell
from the documentation whether it actually limited the rate of packets
transmitted, and policed incoming packets, in a reliable fashion.
What do you mean by reliable fashion? The upstream is hard limited by
the kernel. So it is absolutely reliable. The data people send you
(downstream) you cannot control directly.

In other words, all the documentation I see is written as if it is
addressing the case of a residential customer with a bandwidth-limited
connection (cable modem, say), that has large queues, and arranges to
shape on the box instead of on the connection's queues, allowing for
better and more sensitive control.

You can use it in your environment. The wondershaper limits your
traffic a bit less than the link speed, for the packets to be queued
in the kernel and not in the modem (hub, switch, etc), so you can
reserve some resources for the real time traffic.

In your case, the modems or hubs may almost never queue.

Please tell me more about the limits of the provider. You say that
they bill you if you use more than 1Mbps? I mean, this is strange
because they normally define a transfer quota (eg: 100GB per month)
and not a bandwidth limit.

And also, what services are you providing in this server?

But it still seemed (from what I read) as if it tries to keep the pipe
as full as possible, merely reordering packets carefully, in which case
I'm sure to lose, because I *don't want* the pipe as full as possible; I
want to dribble bits out the pipe to conform to the pricing I have
agreed with my ISP.

You don't keep the pipe as full as possible all the time. Only when
you are sending more than the limit rate you specified in the script.
Am I missing something?

Thomas

--
Marco Casaroli