On Thursday 21 June 2007 18:02, Grant Taylor wrote:
> On 06/21/07 11:47, Peter Rabbitson wrote:
> > You are misunderstanding how ICMP works. The modems themselves are hops,
> > and the thing they connect to is another hop. Just look at the first
> > several entries of a traceroute to any destination, and you will see
> > what I mean. If you still do not believe me - pull the ISP side cable
> > from the modem, while still having your router connected to it, and try
> > to do a ping to somewhere. Look at the source of the dest. unreachable
> > message - it will come from the modem, not from the linux box.
>
> Um, if you are using bridging modems (like I am) you are incorrect.

This is absolutetly the way to do it with ADSL.

Using a modem in bridged mode minimizes the responsability of the modem/router
which is a potentially unstable device. Let the stable Linux box do the work
(routing+nat)  and get the public IP. And firewall the Linux box itself with
iptables. This is the most flexible and stable way to go.

Cheers
Gustavo

--
Angulo Sólido - Tecnologias de Informação
http://angulosolido.pt