News

Nature 435, 1146-1149 (30 June 2005) | doi: 10.1038/4351146a
Special ReportScience & Africa: A message to the G8 summit
Top of page
Abstract

Africa's scientists tell industrialized nations what they need to hear.

When the G8 leaders meet in Scotland next week to discuss how to help
Africa's poorest nations, they are unlikely to hear the chants of the
protestors — an 8-kilometre fence around their luxury hotel will see to
that. But the activists have, to some extent, already been listened to:
a debt-relief package has been signed by the group of eight
industrialized countries and a hike in aid is also on the cards. But
when it comes to spending this extra money, one question is whether the
voices of Africa's scientists will be heeded.

On the following three pages, Nature presents those voices. They need to
be heard, as science and technology are more of a priority for aid
agencies than ever before. African universities, for example, are the
subject of a new focus by the World Bank. Africa's leaders have also
singled out science and technology in their continent-wide political
strategy — the New Partnership for Africa's Development (NEPAD).

The comments that follow make for challenging reading. Every area seems
to require immediate attention, from disease and climate change to a
lack of access to education and sanitation. But themes emerge
nonetheless. Solutions must factor in the needs of local communities and
environments. Projects should be run as far as possible by Africans, not
the donors. And Africa needs long-term backing from rich nations, not an
uncertain future in which aid waxes and wanes. If science and technology
projects are to help shape Africa, these are the strategies that should
shape them.

South Africa: John Mugabe

Adviser on science and technology to NEPAD, based in Pretoria. Helped to
establish the partnership's African Forum on Science and Technology for
Development (AFSTD).

I spend most of my time working with governments and donors to ensure
that scientific knowledge is incorporated into African skill sets,
policies and strategies. We need more capacity for African countries to
apply science to their problems, focusing on health, water, agriculture
and the environment, and to generally increase economic competitiveness.

A big part of this will be technological innovation. You can never say
when you have 'enough' technologies. There are many technologies
available to manage water supply, for example, but few to improve water
quality.

The hope of every country in the world is to have more scientists. But
for us in Africa it is difficult. There is not just the task of training
more scientists, we also need to create solid institutions and ensure
that our scientists have specific, well-resourced projects to work on.

Debt relief will help, but developed countries need to ensure that the
money is going to benefit productivity in Africa. Knowledge needs to be
shared better between developed countries and Africa, to enable African
countries to improve their technologies.

But in the short term, we want to see a commitment from the G8 to put
together an African science fund that would be available to countries on
a fairly flexible basis to address their problems — not necessarily
without certain minimum conditions. That will be a better way for
African scientists to get the relatively small amounts of money they
need to work on projects that will benefit Africa.

Kenya: Kevin Marsh

Epidemiologist and director of the Wellcome Research Programme at the
Kenya Medical Research Institute, Kilifi.

Despite receiving 30 years' worth of aid to develop medical science,
Africa simply hasn't managed to build up a high-quality research
network. Outside South Africa, there are probably fewer than a dozen
health researchers with a high international profile, actively driving
big, imaginative programmes that draw in substantial funding and
scientific interest from around the world.

Nothing will change until research initiatives start coming from within
African research centres. Without an established career structure, it is
hard to get that critical mass of expertise. Because there is no
research culture at many African universities, people do not see science
as an attractive option. And once trained, the best African scientists
are often attracted abroad. If you want good scientists in Africa, you
need to pay them.

A continent-wide group is putting together a detailed plan for
developing medical science in Africa. We hope to discuss these proposals
with the UK government in the next few weeks. We need to develop
training programmes and set up collaborative research links across
Africa and abroad, rooted in African health problems. We can start by
focusing on the African research centres that are already doing
world-class research. We need to turn them into engines for training
home-grown PhDs and postdocs, and they can also play a critical role as
the nodes of an African research network.

The G8 nations should act on the Commission for Africa report drawn up
in March, committing up to US$3 billion over 10 years for African
centres of excellence in science and technology. Of that funding, US$900
million should go towards developing a vibrant research network that
links these centres.

Rwanda: Romain Murenzi

Rwandan minister of education, science, technology and scientific
research. Previously a professor of theoretical physics at Clark Atlanta
University in the United States.
Unfortunately we are unable to provide accessible alternative text for
this. If you require assistance to access this image, or to obtain a
text description, please contact [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Ten years after its gruesome civil war, Rwanda is still widely
associated with the second-worst genocide of the twentieth century: the
conflict between the Hutus and the Tutsis that killed 800,000 people in
just 100 days. Less widely known are Rwanda's serious attempts to
promote science, technology and education as a means to combat poverty,
backwardness and conflict.

Since the war, the number of people being trained in Rwanda to degree
level in science has increased eightfold. And 25,000 students are
enrolled at the National University of Rwanda and other higher-education
institutes. By 2020, we hope that about 100,000 Rwandans — around 1% of
the rapidly rising population — will have a higher academic
qualification. And attempts to interest Rwanda's young generation in
science will start early. From next year, all the country's 2,200
primary schools will be equipped with 'science corners', displaying
basic information about the Sun and the planets, the cycle of life, or a
map of the world — plus a computer with an Internet connection.

Scientists and engineers will find plenty to tackle in Rwanda, from soil
erosion to water management, health, biodiversity and ecosystem
conservation. But one particular problem is that there are not enough
science teachers, as many were denounced by their colleagues and killed
during the civil war.

The horrible conflict was partly rooted in academic circles: some
intellectuals sowed the ethnic hatred that led to the genocide. It is
now crucial that Rwanda creates an education system that rewards merit,
rather than ethnicity. Such a system can become a model for the
reconciliation of Rwandan society.

Rwanda must create an education system that rewards merit, rather than
ethnicity.

To this end, an ambitious national science, technology and innovation
project was launched at a conference in May, supported by science-policy
experts from Australia, Britain, Sweden and the United States. It aims
to give children and young people access to basic and higher education,
to strengthen human rights and peace education, and to eventually
transform the country into a knowledge-based economy. The Rwandan
government has requested US$130 million from the African Development
Bank for the programme. Additional support from the G8 countries is both
necessary and very welcome.

Mozambique: Pascoal Mocumbi

Prime minister of Mozambique from 1994 to February 2004. Now high
representative of the European & Developing Countries Clinical Trials
Partnership programme.
Unfortunately we are unable to provide accessible alternative text for
this. If you require assistance to access this image, or to obtain a
text description, please contact [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Decisions taken at the G8 summit will be important in building the
strong science and technology base that Africa needs, particularly for
developing the tools needed to control disease. The major killers are
causing devastation in Africa. In my own country, Mozambique, one in
four children dies before the age of five, and malaria is the biggest
cause. What is lacking at the international level is an understanding of
the importance of research and development, particularly within Africa,
in the fight against disease.

Much can be done to fight malaria with existing tools. But we need more
effective drugs, and we need a vaccine. We need research and clinical
trials in Africa. On vaccines there is light at the end of the tunnel —
the number of candidate vaccines is growing. But the G8 needs to push
for a more coordinated effort. We need a new international malaria
vaccine enterprise, drawing, for example, on the work of the Malaria
Vaccine Technology Roadmap, a project in which I am involved.

The G8 must also address infrastructure, particularly for health
research. Things are much better than they were ten years ago. African
countries now have their own draft strategy for science and technology,
drawn up by the AFSTD (established by NEPAD) to promote their economies
and reduce poverty. The G8 must build on this to achieve sustained
progress. Debt relief is an important decision, and African countries
must plough some of this money into science, technology and health,
where it could make a big difference.

Education is a key plank: we need nothing less than a comprehensive
system from primary school to higher education. Another is
telecommunications. The Internet is already revolutionizing African
research, but bandwidth remains too slow and expensive.

But most important, the G8 must urgently respond to the call from
Africans for a flow of predictable funding to support NEPAD's strategy.
We need to think at the country level; change will only come when the
leadership of the country is in the driving seat. Take the UN Millennium
goals to slash poverty and diseases. Unless these are tackled at the
country level, we will simply continue to have more talks, more
meetings, and little progress.

Nigeria: Anthony Nyong

Expert on environmental resources and natural hazards at the University
of Jos.

Poverty is a major cause of environmental degradation and causes people
to live unsustainably. Take deforestation: people who cut down trees
don't do it for fun: it is a bid to survive. Much of the rural
population depends on wood as fuel for domestic energy and cooking.

Faced with the need to survive, people even have to encroach on
protected forests and game reserves. It is unfair and impractical to
think that force can prevent this. Africans need appropriate science and
technology to develop cheap and affordable energy sources.

Climate change is likely to make matters worse: major international
reports conclude that Africa is the most vulnerable continent. A first
step towards reducing this vulnerability is to assess the potential
impacts of climate change. But most African nations have neither the
capacity nor the technical ability to do this. The few studies that do
look at Africa have largely been conducted by Western scientists.
Africans need to build scientific capacity so that we can develop our
own models, validated over Africa.

Africans also need science and technology to help adapt to predicted
changes — to develop affordable, accessible and sustainable tools, such
as early warning systems, drought-resistant crops, water-extracting and
harvesting systems, and flood-protection.

It is time to stop the 'mercenary' form of development that has long
been practised. Africa does not need food aid that continually
impoverishes its own people. We need to enable farmers to grow their own
food in the face of environmental challenges.

South Africa: Mike Jensen

Telecommunications consultant working with NEPAD and international
agencies, and an expert on African Internet connectivity.

Improving Internet connections for research centres and hospitals in
Africa would be one of the most cost-effective actions the G8 could
take. It would empower African scientists and medical researchers by
giving them high-speed access to the wealth of information and vast
scientific databases available on the Web.

Although some African countries have high-speed Internet connections,
Africa lags far behind the rest of the world. The root problem is that
telecoms in Africa are national monopolies. High-speed Internet
connections usually have to go through the national operator, and
bandwidth costs 10 to 100 times more than in Europe or North America.

The G8 should encourage liberalization of these markets. Meanwhile, the
international community should subsidize national research networks
directly. The European Union has already connected North African
countries to Europe's research network. And the provision of high-speed
satellite links to malaria research centres has shown how the Internet
can boost productivity and cooperation.

Research centres and networks need to band together to increase their
bargaining power in negotiations over bandwidth costs. The G8 should
support such initiatives, including NEPAD's plan to create a network of
optical fibre cables across Africa. It should support the Indian
government's project to fund a satellite for educational purposes for
the African Union. And it could address the lack of computing
infrastructure and human resources in scientific research centres.

But we have to start somewhere: the creation of Internet-connected
research centres in universities and hospitals would be a good place.

Kenya: Florence Wambugu

CEO of A Harvest Biotech Foundation International, a Kenyan organization
dedicated to promoting sustainable agriculture through the use of
biotechnology.
Unfortunately we are unable to provide accessible alternative text for
this. If you require assistance to access this image, or to obtain a
text description, please contact [EMAIL PROTECTED]

We cannot develop Africa without biotechnology. Enormous numbers of
people suffer from malnutrition in some regions, and this is where
biotechnology has huge potential.

One example is NERICA (New Rice for Africa), a variety developed by the
West Africa Rice Development Association in Bouaké, Ivory Coast. The
rice was created by conventional breeding and combines high-yield Asian
strains with drought-resistant African ones. It is a good example of the
research and development we can do when there is partnership between
scientists in Africa and abroad.

But we have to take a holistic approach — we also need to address other
issues such as soil fertility, water management, human infrastructure
and capacity development.

The problem is that there is a disconnect between high-level
international research and the perspectives and priorities of African
leaders. Most research here is donor-funded. There is an urgent need for
African countries to fund their own research so that they have a stake
in the results. That way the results will be more relevant and can be
linked to local communities.

Involving rural people is crucial. The poverty in Africa is in the
villages. We need education and training for farmers so that they can
make use of opportunities such as improved seed banks. That will empower
them. You can't just give them an agricultural innovation and leave them
to it. I believe in science and technology, but the way it is
implemented is very important.

For example, genetically modified (GM) crops have a major role to play
in Africa, especially in tackling problems such as pests, drought and
malnutrition. To succeed, GM technology must be implemented in a way
that gives Africans true ownership. Although there is room for many
different players, including the private sector, researchers and
agricultural organizations, greater emphasis should be placed on
collaborations with countries outside Africa. When it comes to staple
crops, the possibility of royalty-free technologies must also be explored.

Ghana: Fred Binka

Head of epidemiology at the School of Public Health, University of
Ghana, and executive director of the INDEPTH pan-African network of
field epidemiological centres.

If the G8 summit is really to improve the lot of Africa, it must make a
big commitment to controlling infectious diseases, particularly the
three big killers: AIDS, malaria and tuberculosis. Without this, all
other efforts to raise Africa out of poverty will be futile. That is
because, although it's accepted that poverty causes disease, it is too
often overlooked that disease causes poverty. AIDS is destroying African
economies and workforces, and malaria, my own field of work, is
estimated to slow African economies by 1.3% a year — crippling the
poorest households and workers.

Plans for debt relief, easing of trade barriers and new development
funds will be good news for Africa. But these measures address just one
side of the problem — poverty. If we do not also tackle health we will
just continue in a vicious circle, where disease breeds poverty, which
breeds disease.

Without controlling infectious diseases, all other efforts to raise
Africa out of poverty will be futile.

The Commission for Africa report mentions health research, but it is
vague. The fact is that malaria is right here to be controlled. The
situation is getting better, and more money is flowing in. But even the
Global Fund to fight AIDS, Tuberculosis and Malaria is still supporting
fragmented efforts; it is not taking the bull by the horns.

What the G8 needs to advocate is much wider use of current intervention
tools. We need to be putting 50 million bednets a year into Africa and
we need to scale up drugs and house-spraying to cover entire countries.
Zambia recently pledged to do this and aims to cut mortality by 75% in
three years. When I first heard this I was really excited — I'm not
joking; if the G8 backs and helps fund that approach across the
continent, we will reduce the malaria burden dramatically.

To create major change we need African-led efforts, supported by the
international community. I think the message is also getting through to
the G8 that we need research, and that we cannot do this without
scientists, trained and working in Africa. The G8 must make a strong
commitment to building human capacity, and this must not be lip-service.

South Africa: Mark Henning

Chair of South Africa's Sector Education and Training Authority.
Unfortunately we are unable to provide accessible alternative text for
this. If you require assistance to access this image, or to obtain a
text description, please contact [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Education is vital. All sorts of studies say that the best thing African
countries can do is to have universal primary education, including
bringing girls into schools. That should be a priority. It's always been
assumed in Africa that if you get a university degree your future is
secure, but if you don't, then life holds nothing. That's false. We need
to find a balance between providing high-quality specialized education
and uplifting the poorly educated majority.

The relationship between education and economic growth is complex.
Economic success depends on many things other than education, and it has
to be the right education for the right people. Zimbabweans are well
educated, for example, but the country's disastrous economic policies
mean that people are starving.

Malaria and HIV/AIDS are huge problems too. Where you have family groups
headed by ten-year-old children, it has a profound effect on education.
Financial support and development of drugs by the G8 can make a big
difference.

It's got to be the right education for the right people.

Youth unemployment is a time bomb — well over 60% in South Africa.
'Trade not aid' is a critical slogan. The G8 needs to free up trade in a
way that will let African nations stop relying on aid. With 60
undernourished children in a class it's hard to make progress. And don't
forget the cancer of corruption — a lot of that is coming from G8
countries, whose entrepreneurs are buying favours. Fix these problems,
and maybe educational reforms can deliver.

Sierra Leone: Ogunlade Davidson

Professor of mechanical engineering and energy systems at the University
of Sierra Leone in Freetown, and co-chair of Working Group III of the
Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change.

Development in Africa will need energy. A Latin-American household
consumes 3.5 times more energy than a sub-Saharan one, and North
Americans consume 22 times as much energy as we do. Almost 75% of energy
in Africa is consumed by South Africa and six North African countries —
the other 46 countries account for a mere quarter of consumption.
Sub-Saharan countries will demand substantial amounts of extra energy in
the next decades.

In theory, Africa has abundant energy resources — oil, gas, coal and
hydropower, depending on the region— to meet the increased demand. But
enough energy does not reach consumers, and the quality of refineries
and fuel products is often poor. Two thirds of the gas obtained as a
by-product of oil production is wasted, because producers claim there is
no demand for it. Here is a case for the G8 countries to put pressure on
the big oil companies, because African governments are too weak to urge
them to invest in new and more energy-efficient infrastructure and in
power systems that use gas.

The G8 countries must put pressure on the big oil companies to invest in
new and more energy-efficient infrastructure.

Climate change is also a key issue, because although Africa contributes
least to greenhouse gas concentrations, it is most vulnerable to global
warming. Malaria, sea-level rise, droughts and other impacts on rain-fed
agriculture are some of the most difficult problems facing the
continent. Rainfall has decreased substantially since 1900, which can
partly be attributed to global warming. And air pollution from
antiquated coal plants and cooking fires is a widespread problem in
countries such as Zimbabwe and South Africa.

For all these reasons, it is essential that Africa's growing hunger for
energy is satisfied by clean and environmentally friendly means. The
rich countries should help by promoting advanced production of renewable
energy, such as from biomass.

Interviews by Peter Aldhous, Declan Butler, Jim Giles, Michael Hopkin,
Mark Peplow and Quirin Schiermeier
Quipo Free Internet - 2 email, 150 Mb di spazio web e molto di pi�.
ADSL, Hardware&Software Online Store: http://www.quipo.it
This E-mail was scanned for viruses by Declude Virus.

--
www.e-laser.org
Laser@inventati.org

Rispondere a