Title: Are we so sure wild birds aren’t the culprit with avian flu

Are we so sure wild birds aren’t the culprit with avian flu? And why dedicate years of work to exposing a suspected fraud?

The Scientist - 28th February 2006

In a recent news story, Alex Kaat with Wetlands International (WI) seems awfully sure that wild birds didn't bring avian flu to Nigeria and won't spread it from there to Europe. So, scientifically, why is he so sure it won't spread to Europe via the ducks? Do they not fly from Africa back to Europe? From my understanding, many wild water fowl -- especially ducks -- show few if any signs of avian flu infection and spread the virus via their feces, which can be dropped en route onto non-wetland areas. In fact, in Eurasia, avian flu is spread via wild birds.  Are WI or any of their partners testing the Nigeria/African ducks in any numbers to see if the population is harboring the virus? Are they only testing the birds that drop dead (i.e. swans in Italy and Greece) and not living populations of other birds/waterfowl?

Alex Avery
Director of Research Center for Global Food Issues, Hudson Institute PO Box 202,
Churchville, VA 24421 540) 337-6354, or -6387
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Alex Kaat responds:
Alex Avery thinks that I am "awfully sure" about wild birds not being vectors of avian flu, but the language I used is rather cautious. Expressions used include "unlikely", "don't think", "more likely", "we think it is more likely" and "there is a risk".
Nobody yet knows the factors responsible for carrying avian influenza to Africa, and Wetlands International aims to make this clear in the information it provides. Too many people seem to be sure about the role of wild birds. I expressed the opinion that it is "unlikely" that migratory birds brought the disease to Nigeria, but I also named the species most likely to be responsible if this were the case, and explained that while the northward migration to Europe begins in late February, it will "most likely" not bring the disease to Europe.

Reporting of recent outbreaks of HPAI has often been unbalanced and sensational and
there is a strong tendency to blame migrating waterbirds while disregarding the role played by activities related to the poultry farming and transport industries.
In intensively farmed poultry, the high density of birds and constant exposure to faeces, saliva and other secretions provide ideal conditions for the replication, mutation, recombination and selection through which highly lethal forms can evolve.
The global nature of the poultry industry, and the international movement of live poultry and poultry products also provide a likely mechanism for the spread of the virus between Asia, Africa and Europe, and at a local level within these continents. The view that poultry movements have played a major role in the spread of the disease is supported by an analysis of viral strains recently published in the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences.

Some of the agencies attempting to monitor and control avian flu, such as the FAO, seem to have been reluctant to draw attention to the role of intensive agriculture, because of the impact on national economies and on access to cheap sources of protein. There are also powerful vested interests in the global poultry industry. It is noteworthy that
countries such as Japan and South Korea, which imposed strict controls on the import and movement of domestic poultry after initial outbreaks, have suffered no further infections. If wild birds had been spreading the disease across continents it would be reasonable to expect trails of outbreaks following migration routes, but this hasn't happened.

Highly pathogenic avian influenza viruses are very rare in wild birds. Our ongoing work in Africa will help answer Alex Avery's question about whether African populations of waterbirds are harbouring the virus or not.

Alex Kaat -Wetlands International
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

 Links within this article
S. Pincock, "Fears of Africa flu spread," The Scientist, February 14, 2006.
http://www.the-scientist.com/news/display/23120/
H. Chen et al, "Establishment of multiple sublineages of H5N1 influenza virus in Asia: Implications for pandemic control," PNAS, February 10, 2006.
PM_ID: 16473931

--
www.e-laser.org
Laser@inventati.org