Ross Moore wrote:
Hello Jens,

On Tue, 23 Sep 2003, Jens Lehmann wrote:

The next problem is that subsections (and below) have anchors which are
not safe for updates, for instance <A
NAME="SECTION000420000000000000000">. I would like to have the headings

If the whole document is being updated, so will these names.
So where is the problem ?

The document can be found here: http://www.xith.org/tutes/GettingStarted/html/

Let's say in section 8 you add a new subsection "foo" at the beginning of the section. Then a link which used to point to "The Model" now points to "foo". This is what I want to avoid.

I assume (and this has proven to be true) that most users actually copy the link out of the table of contents or the listing of sub(sub)sections at the beginning of each page and paste it into forums. So, I'm not talking about links within the document, but links from outside to the document.

Are you recording some of these names as constants, then creating
hyperlinks to them ?   That's not a recommended technique.
Instead you should use LaTeX's symbolic \label--\ref mechanism,
which assigns your own choice of name for anchor targets.

Either syntax should work:
   \subsection{... subsection name ...\label{..label...}}
   \subsection{... subsection name ...}\label{..label...}
creating an anchor that immediately precedes the subsection title,
so that hyperlinks jump to the window location that has the title
at the top.

Actually I can do this, but most users won't see this link, because they copy&paste the link from the TOC and the listing of sub(sub)sections at the beginning of each section. (I assume there is no magic involved and the links in the TOC stay the same like before if I use the technique above.)

of the subsections and subsubsections as anchor names. I'm aware that
this causes trouble if a heading appears more than once within one html
file, but this is not a problem in our case. It's important that the
mnemonic anchors are the ones which are actually used in the document
(for example in the table of contents). How can this be achieved?

You will have to explain to me why this is necessary, for a single site.
It sounds like you have a complicated site which is not always updated
as a single unit, and want some parts to link into others.

I already tried to explain it above. Links within the document are not a problem.

I hope the problem is now clearer.

Jens

-- PGP Public Key: http://studenten-dresden.de/public_key.asc