Hello Jean-Pierre,

$E_{\textrm{Bayes}}$ gives the correct result, and *is* the current correct
syntax to get
roman fonts in math.

'\textrm' didn't change the behaviour.

On Netscape 4.8/Solaris, png transparency is not available, so the result may depend upon the browser.

It is good to know also that a bug (IMHO, and ond Ros Moore's also,
but seemingly NOT on the developers') in Mozilla/Firefox turns into a failure
to align inline equations, which are correctly seen
in IE and Konqueror, and others I guess.

It is definitely not a browser issue, the png-files themselves are not transparent (using ImageMagicks display), although image info says it should.
Also, IE and Firefox on Windows give identical results.

As an alternative I tried to disable transparency, but setting
  $TRANSPARENT_FIGURES = 0;
in the .latex2html-init file just gives me

"./.latex2html-init did not return a true value at /usr/bin/latex2html line 183"

Omitting the line keeps transparency switched on.

As a second alternative, I tried to generate gif instead of png. Unfortunately pstoimg does not support gif. Is there a way to configure pstoimg so that it would support gif?

Many thanks again!

Regards,
Stefan