Craig,

I don't know if you got latex2html working yet or not, but I was having a very similar problem and found two things that got me going.

First, use the -debug flag when running test.bat (or anything else that isn't working).
i.e. test.bat -debug

This gave me the needed additional information as to why the image conversion wasn't working: RGBDEF needs to be defined. I don't know the best way to do this, but I searched for rgb.txt in the latex2html directory and then created an environment variable called RGBDEF will the full path to rgb.txt. This solved my remaining problems.

Hope this helps.

Ryan