I expect that switching will work fine for your application.  Try
changing the boolean control to switching (you do this by right
clicking on the control and selecting the appropriate switching
action).  Most likely this will work for your application.  Just make
sure that you change the value back once it has been read.  If you
need further help it would be beneficial to have more information
about what you are trying to do and post the code that you have so
that we can see where you may be going wrong.