At one time, I worked for a company that manufactured mobile phones,
although these were TDMA, the test process may be similar.... On many
phones there is a connector that provides OEM access for connection to
a computer or device for initial factory programming, changing setting
values, and interface with Faders and simulated Base Stations. This
connector transmits information into the phone, and can read binary
values from the phone registers, too. In our specific case, this was a
set of simple binary values, each one representing one aspect of call
performance, or network conditions. Is the phone camping on a channel?
Which channel? Is a call incoming, and at what signal strength?
Anyway, by sending these signals (from Labview) out the RS-232 port
(and into the phone using a small interface board), and then reading
the responses, we collected measurements and status from the phone.
So, does your phone provide a connector for factory interface, or can
it otherwise read the status screen on your phone? I hope that helps.
If you need more details about this method, just drop me an email at
[EMAIL PROTECTED]