Sebastian's answer is exactly what you need, as long as you don't mind
the whole LabVIEW development environment starting up in order to run
your VI (and staying open afterwards). Just put your VI, or a link to
it, in the Startup programs group - I assume we're talking about
Windows here, of course.

If you actually want to create a stand-alone .exe file that doesn't
need the development environment installed on the PC where it runs and
behaves just like any other .exe program, you need the Application
Builder. I don't know if you'll be able to buy this for LV 5 any more,
you might have to upgrade to the latest LV version - in which case ask
NI for an upgrade price.