Hi,

On Friday 16 January 2004 10:24, Rolf Kalbermatter wrote:
[...]
> An IDE like that would not only have to support things like VI and
> documentation management, Application Building, or Source Code Control with
> a system like CVS or better maybe SubVersion, but also provide a facility
> to integrate automatic Unit Testing to be useful for really professional
> work.

[...]

Yeah, well, a complete IDE would be very nice indeed, but the first step would
be to make LabVIEW in itself Source Code Control 'compatible'. As long as the
compiled code is stored INSIDE a VI file, it makes it a great burden if not
outright impossible to do concurrent development on one project by many
people using standard SCC tools.
We do this (using subversion, it's great!), but it's a PITA to keep all VIs
from being modified whenever someone loads a freshly checked out version of
the project.

Next on my list are namespaces (not just for different projects, but also just
some libs you share between projects and/or teams), and VI linkage problems
(not storing the path to the linked VI inside the VI, for example).

IMHO, NI should try to (optionally) save the compiled code and any 'on the
fly' generated info for any VI in a seperate location, as it can be rebuilt
automatically, just like now. This would also allow for something like a
human-readable VI file format (just dreaming...).

Well, I should stop now before I really get started,
        Joerg
--
Leading SW developer  - S.E.A GmbH
Mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]