Many thanks for such excellent pointers to specific help features (and
the caution on trying to overachieve a fairly simple task !).

You're correct in the one-point-at-a-time data acquisition.  I've been
lazy in simply taking one part of the prewritten driver and using that
for reading the data continuously.  I'll go back and examine the Fluke
driver to look for more functionality.  A most helpful item would be
to limit the data to ~2 Hz.  That's plenty for my needs just now.

I'll look at the shipping examples to see if I can find a suitable
example.

Chris Nelson, one of our Minneapolis sales engineers, suggested
building an array before running the Amplitude & Level Measurement VI.
Apparently, the latter works on each chunk of data fed to it if one
keeps the "original segments" size.  Therefore, building an array of
1000 points or so would allow meaningful peak detection.

In an initial trial of this, I found that I could collect 10,000
points at ~50 Hz and still process data continuously.  However, the
peaks reported were changing faster than expected: about every 2
seconds instead of every 200 seconds.  I'll try this again with a
pre-specified size of 10,000 points and see what happens.