Thanks for your response.  However, I found the following sentence in
the link <A
HREF="http://zone.ni.com/devzone/conceptd.nsf/webmain/A9FBCAA7A3D7922186256A3000652B56?opendocument#8";>LabVIEW
custom controls ...</a>

<i>"A strict type definition forces almost everything about the
control or indicator to be identical, including cosmetic properties
such as size, color, and appearance. Strict type definitions also
define other values, such as range checking on numeric controls and
the item names in ring controls."
</i>
It turns out that the item names get updated if the ring control has
sequential values associated with the items, but does not get updated
if the values associated with the items are not sequential.

I chose text rings over enums because I wanted the value associated
with the items to be non-sequential for this particular control.

Once again, thanks for your response.

Regards,
Sudhir Gopinath