I have explored several ways to modify front panel data in labview, and many of them seem to complicated or too flat (huge toplevel diagrams). Now I am toying with a new idea... On the top level vi I load references to all of the indicators and controls into a global and then read/write to them via their reference lower down in the hierarchy. If there are possible race conditions I build a wrapper vi to protect read/modify/write cycles (one per front panel object). I realize all of this is running in the UI thread because I am using refnums, but it would be anyway because all of this is about the front panel. Now... what are the downsides?

George Gatling Applied Technology Division, SFA Inc. Space Physics Simulation Chamber US Naval Research Laboratory 202-404-5405 (phone) 202-767-3553 (fax)

If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down?
We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason. --Jack Handy