From: Mahoney, Richard C
Sent: Monday, February 23, 2004 1:45 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: RE: Filter question

Gary,Scott, et al. Thanks for the responses

Scott,
I am well aware of the fact that "that is what windowing does...". My
question was, if I'm measuring the Self noise of a
sigma delta A/D converter, which if any windowing function should be
used? Sorry, I should have worded it better.

Gary,
This "Hann or Hamming is recommended" is what I was looking for, but
even these have a difference in output
Although not really that considerable. Dies this recommendation come
from the "LabVIEW Signal
Processing" source you cited in your message?

The fact that the values can change by so much based on the windowing
chosen, speaks volumes about the importance of choosing
the correct window. My actual requirements reads similar to: "The
self-noise at the output of the A/D converter over the band of interest
shall not have an amplitude greater than -XX dBV and have a total energy
that is no greater than -XX dBV within the band."
For the first measurements I've implemented an FFT Power Spectrum
function, and the 2nd an FFT Power Spectral Density function,
but The windowing function based on what I select has the ability to
change the Pass/Fail status of the measurement.
This is why I'm asking. I could just code to PASS, but I want it to be
right!
Thanks for any additional input
Rick M.