After some time I think I can actually hazard a guess as to what is
going on here.  What it appears to be is that although the ocx is
registered correctly, the user has to be using a system where the
activex control is _licensed_ correctly to embed it in labview code.
Running on a machine with VB6 development, this occurs automatically,
but this doesn't appear to be neccessarily true with just labview.  I
"solved" this in the end by using a VB wrapper for the control (as
suggested by microsoft:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;281848).  This
solution worked....but when I reverted to the old technique of using
the activex container directly.....this had been fixed as well....not
sure whether this is a NI or microsoft issue?!