> This is great information.  I think I will have to use both yours and Richard
> Mahoney's advice.  Your suggestion will work for the mean time but I think
> the solution is to use Richard's format specifier "%.;" suggestion. Actually,
> I think the ultimate solution would be for NI to transparently do this
> formatting so I don't have to.  If I send a "." why would I want it to be
> anything else other than a "."?

It is hard to tell from your original post, but the decimal substitution
shouldn't be happening except when formatting numeric values to string,
when displaying elsewhere in the UI like on scales, and when scanning
from string.

So ideally, you want your numerics displayed in text to match the rest
of the OS locale.  The problem is when you start communicating with
instruments, they don't know about locale and want things to use the
period for decimal.

So, if you don't care about the UI display of numerics and scales, and
you want everything to be periods, set the Option to ignore the locale
and use periods.

If you do care about the UI, keep the locale setting and remember that
when writing to instruments to use the % code to specify the decimal for
that format.  The % code is in the dialog for string formatting by the
way.

Greg McKaskle