Read the numeric value out of the string as a number, create an array of
clusters of "number, filename". Sort the array (clusters are sorted by
sorting the first element first, and if there's a match, breaking the tie
based on comparing second element, then third element, etc). After sorting,
pull the filenames out of the array.

Pojundery,
Stephen R. Mercer
-= LabVIEW R&D =-

|         |           Kalyanramu       |
|         |           Vemishetty       |
|         |           <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>|
|         |           <[EMAIL PROTECTED]|
|         |           a.army.mil>      |
|         |           03/11/2004 11:05 |

  |       To:       [EMAIL PROTECTED]
                                 |
  |       cc:
                                          |
  |       Subject:  Sorting 1d array of alphanumeric strings

Hi all,

I am working on an application which involves sorting of filenames.

The problem I am facing is that,

If I have filenames such as

data1.dat
data3.dat
data11.dat
data2.dat
data12.dat

Then using the sorting of sortings, I get
data1.dat, data11.dat,data12.dat,data2.dat,data3.dat.
But the result I want is
data1.dat,data2.dat,data3.dat,data11.dat,data12.dat.

I undertand why I get the result(because we are comparing strings.

But inorder to get the result as I want what should I do.

What would be the quickfix for this problem in LabVIEW.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Kalyan