Other anomalies before the failure occurend:
1. An error message appeared each time I was opening  my main VI:
Windows cannot find "<my VI>".
LabVIEW did however load the file anyway(!) and run properly.
2. Some subVIs could not be found without assistance. This occurend
after I hand checked out and in again a VI using FtpVC, se below.

Possible error trigger:
I was tying a version handling tool called FtpVC just before the error
occured. It does make files read-only but does not merge or alter the
files. (The file I checked out and in again can still be opened in
LabVIEW).