fenny wrote:

> thanks.
>

> But I STILL DON'T THINK THIS FEATURE IS A GOOD FEATURE.
> Other software like office series can recognize files with smae names
> but uder different paths.
>
> so to keep my old files and make changes to my copied ones, I still
> need to rename all the files  -and do many times of replacing!!!!!

Just to clarify a bit. LabVIEW VIs do store the path to the subVIs
internally. For subVIs on the same volume (drive letter) the path stored
is relative to the caller VI. For different volumes the path is the
absolute path from the root of the file system.

So if you have following hierarchy:

subVIs
   subVI1.vi
   subVI2.vi
mainVI.vi

and copy that like this:

subVIs
   subVI1.vi
   subVI2.vi
mainVI.vi
subVIscopy
   subVI1.vi
   subVI2.vi
mainVIcopy.vi

mainVIcopy.vi will still refer to the subVIs in the original subVI folder.

Another thing to watch out is the LabVIEW search path. If LabVIEW can't
find the VI at the path it was recorded when last saved it will go
through all the paths in the search path configuration
Options->Paths->Search Paths.

Rolf K