The timeout value was just set at the default.  How do you know how
long your stream of data is?
The purpose of my application is to input a setpoint temperature to
the refrigerator/heating circulator and also read what temperature the
circulator is actually at.  The circulator recognizes certain commands
that is inputted from the computer.  For example, to set the setpoint
temperature to 25 deg C, the command is: out_sp_00 25.0 return
So I have set up "out_sp_00 " as a string constant and the setpoint
temp is inputted through a string control.  Also, I used a carriage
return. All of these are then concatonated together.  So what would
the size of this data stream be considered as? Do I even have the
right idea of inputting this command or have I done things the
long/wrong way?

Thanks for the heads up if a timeout occured when reading