This can be done, but it will take some work.  There are two
approaches.  You can use the PICTURE functions, and build the diagrams
up a layer at a time. (Your PICTURE vi's are loop through, meaning you
can take the output of one, say a grid, and input it to another, to
overlay a pointer, for example)  Another way, probably more labor
intensive, is to use the property node to modify a button of some kind
( color, shape, etc) to make it appear like the indicatory you want.
You might want to look through the NI database to see if there is
anything similar that someone has written that you can "embrace and
extend" to fit your application.  In the meantime, you have given me a
personal challenge!  I think this would be a good extra-curricular
project for me :)

Eric