All,

This may really be a Windows-only question, but I can believe there are
establishments that have standardized on Macs for factory use.

Recently I was required by our IT department to 'upgrade' a couple of
networked factory test PCs (still running LV5.1 apps under Windows 95!)
to Windows 2000, and since the original PCs were decreed too
underpowered, IT gave me a few 'cast-offs', of 400MHz Pentium-II
vintage, as replacements.  Long story short, at least one of these has
turned out to be unreliable for long term use, so now I'm given the nod
to buy something akin to the standard-issue current workstation.

We've got a corporate purchase agreement with a big computer
manufacturer (rhymes with 'hell'), and now I'm told that all such PCs
MUST come with a license for MS Office Pro/Exchange/WinServer2003 etc,
which adds close to 500USD to the total.  The IT line is, 'If it plugs
into the network, it must include these licenses'.  Plus, W2K is no
longer an option, so it comes with WinXPPro, and if you reload the OS,
you're unsupported.

I'm just curious to hear from some of you folks who work for (or
contract for) LMCO, Sperry, Litton, and other medium-to-large
corporations, what your experiences are.  Are you free to buy your own
hardware if it goes on the corporate network, or do you get what's
offered?  (Usually, I'm more concerned with things like how many open
PCI slots the thing has...)

Best,

Dave

David J Boyd
Senior Test Engineer
Respironics
175 Chastain Meadows Court
Kennesaw GA 30144-3724
(V) 770-429-2809 (F) 770-423-2300

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE
This message, together with any attachments, may be legally privileged
and is confidential information intended only for the use of the
individual or entity to which it is addressed.  It is exempt from
disclosure under applicable law including court orders.  If you are not
the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any use,
dissemination, distribution or copy of this message, or any attachment,
is strictly prohibited.  If you have received this message in error,
please notify the original sender and delete this message, along with
any attachments, from your computer.