As I suspected.  Besides some introductory level knowledge of Pascal
and C, I do not have the benefit of programming experience in other
languages, nor time spent on Info-LabVIEW.  I find that it is fairly
easy to get the job done in LabVIEW without a more general
understanding of the text-based programming principles except for rare
occasions.  On those occasions I find myself lamenting my lack of
knowledge and I usually contemplate a more serious study of the
general principles of software engineering.  As a substitute for my
own skill, I admit that I rely on the discussion forum for insight,
inspiration, and instruction.  Thanks for your contributions.