David;
This is a great idea. The '1%' that you left out has to be cost. Lets
face it...
PXI is expensive. Your approach has the ability to be a much more cost
effective
solution, Although depending on who is doing the custom HW design, this
could be
the trade off...
Its not my intent to start a new discussion branch here, but while COTS
obviously
does has its advantages, I think the trend has been to cast aside custom
solution
based solely on cost, too often lately. I for one prefer the custom
approach...
Maybe its just more challenging, and what engineer doesn't like a
challenge?

My .02 cents

Rick Mahoney
Equipment Test Design