> I am still getting a weird reading error though were for some reason
the gpib card
> will return a string of "++6.17345E-10" instead of "+6.17345E-10"
could this have
> something to do with me using a PCI GPIB card I bought a long time
back from
> a 3rd party vendor? (MeasurementComputing.com)?"

Anything is possible, I suppose.  If you can borrow an NI GPIB card
and the problem goes away that would confirm it.  How good a contact
do you have with your NI rep?

I have a vague de-ja-vu of this myself, but I don't remeber if it was
GPIB, Firewire, or something else, or even if it was a bad instrument.
If it doesn't go away when using an NI GPIB card you can always code
in an "IF answer has '++', make it a '+'"

Les