The author of the files is a professional who wrote a program for me a
couple of years ago.  If I try to open the file in Notepad, I get a
Windows ! message that says "Access is Denied".

I am trying to open the file directly from the LabVIEW startup screen,
I am fairly sure that the process I am using to open the file is
correct. (I have also tried just double-clicking the file in Windows).
I want to look at the code structure that he used and possibly modify
parts of the program.

>From my point of view, it appears as though the author may have
protected his program files somehow.  Is there a way to check for
this, or some other way to view the files?  Many of the files that I
want to look at are simply subVIs that are part of the more complex
DAQ system he made.