2009/1/20  <c...@freemail.hu>:
> Hello,
>
> I have never used Linux before, but it is becoming an important development
> target platform for us now. After installing Ubuntu 8.1 with gnome desktop I
> was quite surprised that the user interface felt quite slugish. The same
> machine with XP works as expected. It is hard to believe for me that Linux
> would be any slower than XP.

this is like saying a ford focus weighs less than a bmw 7-series.
ubuntu does have a lot of stuff you probably don't use and google will
give you tips on getting it faster.  you can always just use another
distro (e.g. debian).  xubuntu is also supposed to be easier on
resources.  there are distros that specifically focus on slower
hardware, too.

> - Is there a way to speed up Ubuntu? (drivers, other GUI ...) (:Yes, I know
> it is not a Lazarus specific question:)
> - What Linux distro's are the recommended targets for Lazarus apps?
> - Is there any real difference from the developers point of view?

there may be some issues with different versions of the widgetset you
choose to use, but i'm sure people on this list will be able to help
you.

henry