Alexander Klenin wrote:
> On Thu, May 7, 2009 at 08:56, Martin Friebe <laza...@mfriebe.de> wrote:
>
>> To heat the discussion up:
>>  From the wiki:
>>
>>>     Watches/Local variables/Registers
>>> All three are a lists of name/value pairs used at debug time.
>>>
>>> They should be merged together in a single list with appropriate
>>> filtering capabilities.

another thing with combining them, is that the amount of Locals keeps
changing (watches just display unavailable).

This means that (unless locals are last in the list), everything keeps
changing position, and you have to adjust where to look for it.
(OT: Would be a great feature to bind watches to a stackframe, and have
them changing automatically...)
>> Still I often use watches to show local variables which have a very long
>> value. In this case I can have a narrow Local window (left to the code),
>> and a very wide (but only a few lines high / below the code) watches
>> window.
>>
>> Of course, If I am the only one who uses this in such a way, then it's
>> not a reason.
>>
> Interesting, but I guess this is indeed rather rare case.
> What kind of long values do you watch?

Mainly structures/records/classes...
Of course that would be better solved, by having each member on a line
of it's own.

You also have to find a way how to deal with different properties that
watches can have (not yet, but in future: mem-dump, hex, dec, ... hust
see the property window). In princible they can be applied to locals, as
long as you can find a way to match them, each time locals had been
updated. Because if you change stack frame you may have a local with the
same name, but it is a different variable. So how to you bind those
properties to a local value?
Not sure if those props make sense for registers....

Martin