On 2017-08-14 15:11, Tony Whyman via Lazarus wrote:
ambiguous a term - especially as the Delphi/FPC UnicodeString type
exists and probably (but I'm not certain)  means UTF-16.

Yes, that is f**ken annoying. FPC should have named it what it really is - UTF16String! But instead they followed Delphi like a lemming and named it UnicodeString.

In reality, UNICODE means text with an encoding of any of UTF-8, UTF-16LE, UTF-16BE, or UTF-32.

In terms of Delphi and FPC, they decided Unicode = UTF-16. I'm not even sure if they mean LE or BE.

Regards,
  Graeme

http://fpgui.sourceforge.net/