El 15/08/17 a les 21:14, Graeme Geldenhuys via Lazarus ha escrit:
On 2017-08-15 18:29, Luca Olivetti via Lazarus wrote:
but for 3rd party libraries/components (e.g.
synapse comes to mind

Then better start filing bug reports to all those 3rd party libraries and components - they have been abusing the system and will silently fail. Not to mention that FPC is almost at v3.0.4 and the new string changes were introduced in v3.0.0 already.

Wait a minute, why "abuse"?
After all, before code aware strings, an ansistring could store any kind of arbitrary data with no problem and no conversion, and made it extremely easy to, e.g., add bytes to a buffer or find and extract data from the same buffer. *If* code that worked before (and dare I say without abusing the language) suddenly breaks, the bug is in the compiler and not in the library. (I remarked the "if" because I don't know if that's the case, according to Bo Berglund's experience it is)

Bye

--
Luca Olivetti
Tel. +34 93 5883004 (Ext.3010)  Fax +34 93 5883007